Friday, August 20, 2010

Grumpy pants

Today on Facebook I logged in to see that one acquaintance of mine had changed their status to "married". Knowing she isn't married, this annoys the living fuck out of me. But the question is, why?

My natural inclination is to say this: "Okay, look, this is basically making your relationship look more substantive than it really is." Particularly, this couple has been dating for a half of a year at best, so to me it seems gaudy to me that they'd even joke about marriage. So I say, "Look kids, you're about several years off from this, at least."

But then again, that isn't the REAL reason I'm annoyed.

While there is a lot of truth to what I'd like to say, the crux of the matter is that this time last year, I was the one with the blinders on. I was, for all extents and purposes, as puppy-eyed for Shanndra. We were the ones who were happily dreaming about marriage and a seemingly endless future together. But then everything went to shit, and I was hurt harder then I've been since my childhood.

So what's really happened is that I've gotten incredibly cynical. Instead of taking it as a cute gesture, I get angry since because I have problems with the concept of that kind of relationship lasting. That kind of romantic love didn't last for me right? So why would it, or should it, last for anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment