Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Light Boasting

Been busy as of late, so I never got started on that 30 day challenge. I'll probably start it over break. In the meantime, I'll fill a bit of space over here.

The current thought I have is one about hearing people talk about how great things are. It's not a bad thing. Really. I know if I had a cool girlfriend, or even a really fun fuck buddy, I'd be talking about it too, and I know my friends would like to hear. Most of them, anyways.

The only problem about hearing someone else talk about their haves, is that it reminds one of his or her have nots. Sometimes that isn't a problem, to a degree. But you don't go up to a starving man and talk about, in detail, this juicy fucking steak you just got done eating. It's just fucking rude, you know?

But as I said, I'm cool with the happy boasting, to a certain point. Actually cool past the point I get intimate details of one's sexual life. I need this shit for writing stories, after all, and if I'm not getting it at the time, I need to get it from somewhere. However, when I'm going through a drought, and you just can't shut up about what great sex you're having, while completely ignoring anything I mention about how my sex life is or isn't, even saying "idgaf" in response to bits I add in, all while continuing down your merry road of how much fucking this guy makes your life awesome, and then top it off by mentioning how you shouldn't be talking about this because you might give me the wrong idea? Well, I have reason to be a little annoyed. Not too annoyed, especially if that person in specific is reading, and I know she does from time to time, but annoyed nonetheless.

However, looking back at the last four paragraphs and the reason I wrote them, I have to say the boasting part actually isn't the thing that bothers me. (I shall repeat it's both entertaining and informative.) The thing that annoys me is how one sided it all is. You can talk about your triumphs and failures, but the moment I say a thing about mine, we've hit the mystical land of "idgaf". I know I'm the kind of guy who listens, but why is it when I try to get listened to, I get stonewalled? Either way, I'll still listen, it's both my nature and my trade, but maybe you should think about occasionally returning the courtesy.

PS: This rant also applies to money, you rich fucking bastards.

1 comment:

  1. Probably not worth the time to write this, or for you to read this, but for what it IS worth: I know how you feel, and I sympathise. I often listen to/read people's rather explicit tales, which I use mostly as a basis for background knowledge for editing and partly for my own writing, but it drags sometimes.

    ReplyDelete